Thursday, January 14, 2010

When People are Big and God is Small

My friend at my church in Dubai gave me this book to read-- he said he has a lot to read these days, and wants to know if it is a worthwhile read.  I think he just gave it to me because he thinks it is a book I could use.

The book is called, When People are Big, and God is Small, and is by Edward T. Welch.  The subtitle is Overcoming Peer Pressure, Codependency, and the Fear of Man.

Who doesn't struggle with this stuff?  Whatever the reason for giving me the book, I am thankful to have it, and I am hoping it will help me face some of my "fear of man" issues.  As I was reading yesterday, this struck me:

Sometimes we would prefer to die for Jesus than to live for him.  If someone had the power to kill us for our profession of faith, I imagine most Christians would say, "Yes, I am a  believer in Jesus Christ," even if it meant death.  The threat of torture might make people think twice, but I think most Christians would acknowledge Christ.  However, if making a decision for Jesus means that we might spend years being unpopular, ignored, poor, or criticized, then there are masses of Christians who temporarily put their faith on the shelf.  "Death is not imminent, so why hurry into a rash decision?" "There will be time later to get things straight with God."
In other words, kill me, but don't keep me from being liked, appreciated, or respected.


It gets you thinking, doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Such good stuff, especially if you struggle with an approval idol. And, let's be honest, who doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think I've kept my faith hidden way too long-- evangelism is something I've never done (mostly because I was too afraid of how I would look), and that is shameful and sinful.

    My friend in NY is mailing me Tim Keller's newest book called, "Counterfeit Gods." I can't wait to get it and I hope it promises to be as helpful as the current book I am reading. It's high time we squash these idols!

    ReplyDelete