Friday, April 9, 2010

The Fellowship of Christian Brethren

I just read these words over at Take Your Vitamin Z.  The quote is from Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German pastor who was executed 65 years ago today at a concentration camp.  


It is easily forgotten that the fellowship of Christian brethren is a gift of grace, a gift of the Kingdom of God that any day may be taken from us, that the time that still separates us from utter loneliness may be brief indeed. Therefore let him who until now has had the privilege of living a common Christian life with other Christians praise God's grace from the bottom of his heart. Let him thank God on his knees and declare: It is grace, nothing but grace, that we are allowed to live in community with other Christian brethren (Life Together, p. 20).

I certainly take my Christian fellowship for granted, and yet I am surrounded by the most extraordinary Christian friends.  I am so thankful for all of you who love me, encourage and pray for me, and for those who hold me accountable.  I am thankful that God has placed each of you in my life for a reason, and I pray that I never forget that I am truly blessed to be in such a company of believers.

1 comment: