Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Purpose-Driven Life

glo⋅ri⋅fy [glawr-uh-fahy, glohr-]
-verb (used with object), -fied, -fying


1.  to honor with praise, admiration, or worship; extol.
2.  to make glorious; invest with glory.


Some thoughts that have been going through my head lately...


  • Our lives were created with a purpose.  Yes, this is old hat to some of you, but it is something that has been striking me lately.  We were not created to be rich.  My purpose in life is not to be happy, nor is it to be successful as the world defines success.  What I do as my job is not to define who I am. 
  • What purpose were we created for?  I always liked the way the Westminster Shorter Catechism puts it 

Q.1. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, [a] and to enjoy him forever. [b].
[a]. Ps. 86:9; Isa. 60:21; Rom 11:36; I Cor 6:20; 10:31; Rev 4:11
[b]. Ps. 16:5-11; 144:15; Isa. 12:2; Luke 2:10; Phil 4:4; Rev 21:3-4
  • We will always glorify something.  What does it mean to glorify something?  If we say a movie glorifies violence, we are saying that the movie praises violence, it makes it look good.  It gives honor to violence.  You at this very moment are glorifying something.  What does your life point to?
Am I fulfilling the purpose of my life?  I was created to bring God glory.  Does my life reflect that (probably not) and what can I do to change that?


The prayer of my heart right now is that He will transform me.  Father God, take away my desires for earthly glory.  I pray that you would conform me to your image and that my life and my all would point towards you.  Lord, show me the areas of my life that I need to give to you.  Ever conform me to your likeness and draw me nearer to you.  I lift these in Jesus's name.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment