Monday, December 21, 2009

What is the Starting Point for Mercy?

What is the universal condition of mankind?  What is the fundamental Biblical teaching about humanity?  Is it that we are sinful?


NO!


Jesus was a human and he was not sinful.  One day we will have new bodies and we will forever be human and yet we will not be sinful.  What is the fundamental Biblical teaching about humanity?


It is that we are IMAGE BEARERS of God.  This is the starting point for mercy.  If you try and start from any other place, it will not take you quite so far.


Calvin said it this way, "To see another human being, is to see a creature that delights God by mirroring God.  Wherever God contemplates His own face, He holds it in honor."


His royal stamp on every person demands your respect, your love, your care, your honor.  Whether you encounter faces in the country club, the nursing home, or the ghetto, you can look them squarely in the eye and address them as "Your Majesty."  It's His royal stamp. 
 ~Mercy: Pillars and Practice-- a lecture by Paige Benton Brown.   Download the full audio here.


A few years ago when I was attending Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City, I was lucky enough to attend a class on Bible history taught by the incomparable Paige Benton Brown.  I'd never heard of her before, when my friend said that she had heard (our pastor) Tim Keller once say, "You know Paige is the best speaker in the PCA, don't you?"  Well, after a glowing commendation like that, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to hear her, and I must say, the praise is well warranted.

The above snippet was taken from her talk on mercy at a woman's conference.  It blew me away, and parts of it brought tears to my eyes.  I strongly recommend listening to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment